Unknown to the Western world until Alexander the Great brought it back from Asia, lemon is now a popular essential oil throughout the world. The essential oil is perfect for when feeling groggy, such as in the morning, after a heavy meal, and also feeling blue.
- Uplifting, stimulating,
- nervous tension
- lack of focus
Used in the following Madison + Green inhalers:
- "Feelin' Blue" for depression
- "Chill" for stressed kids
- "Rise & Refresh" for the A.M.
- "At Your Desk”
- “While Driving”
- “Mom’s Me Time”
- Rich in monoterpenes, especially d-limonene (up to ~75%), which has sedative, anxiolytic, and motor relaxant activity
Key Scientific Researches:
- It was found that the inhalation of of lemon essential oil had antidepressant-like effect that is closely related with the serotonergic pathway, and that it significantly accelerated the metabolic turnover of dopamine in the hippocampus and of serotonin in the prefrontal cortex and striatum. Komiya et al (2006) Behavioral Brain Research 172, 240-249
- It was found that lemon essential oil decreases the stress-induced behavioral effects, and that its analgesic effect is induced by dopamine-related activation of the descending pain inhibitory system. Ikeda et al (2014) Molecular Pain. doi: 10.1186/1744-8069-10-14.
About the plant:
- Small evergreen tree with highly fragrant flowers and yellow fruit
- Essential oil is extracted from its fruit ride