When using our inhalers we recommend a specific breathing method that has been proven to help relieve anxiety. However, that doesn’t mean that there’s only one method available! There are hundreds of breathing techniques, and this one, inspired from a method by Swami Saradananda, a famous yoga instructor, is one of the simplest methods that helps stimulate your parasympathetic nervous system (the network of nerves that helps you relax). It is a long, full exhalation that can relieve physical and psychological tension. You may use it as a preparation for meditation or whenever you feel overwhelmed.
- Sit with your back straight and gently seal your lips.
- Hold the inhaler near your nose, and deeply inhale for 3 seconds. Notice that you are taking a full breath. Make sure the breath is smooth and soundless.
- Gently exhale for 6 seconds, while mentally repeating the word “let go”.
- Repeat a few more times. With each long exhalation, visualize stress and anxiety leaving your system.
- Gently stretch before getting up.
This breathing technique should help you loosen muscle tension, as well as self-imposed mental boundaries or emotional limitations, according to Swami Saradananda. We recommend practicing this technique with our Alone Time Aromatherapy Inhaler.